Monday, October 25, 2010

Decision Making

Seeing as how half the class did not do as well as expected on this first exam we were given an oppurtunity to boost our grade up. Once the professor gave us the floor to come up with some sort of extra credit the class immediately began throwing out ideas. I took the role of avoidance not because I didnt think we weren't going to get aything but because I knew that many were in the same situation as me as far as the grade went and a solution that would benefit us all would eventually be reached. However, I was discussing what the class was deciding with the classmates I had around me. I did notice the methods being used in the class discussion one of them being the compromise method. Here two students immediately stood up and sort of took control of the class to try to get out ideas out of all the shouting and come up with concrete proposals. They were hearing people out and trying to accomadate each and every idea. Although the whole process was a little chaotic we did end up getting a pretty good extra credit package. But now knowing how everything went I think if we had to do this a second time a collabrating process would probably work the best because breaking up a fairly large group into smaller ones would facilitate getting out ideas better and it would be more orderly.

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, in the beginning I thought the class was falling apart, when the professor came up with this idea to boost up our grades. Students were very confused and happy at the same time. At times the class became a shouting ring. Until order was restored. I also took the avoidance decision, thinking the same thing as you. This would be nearly impossible. But it was more than possible and the process was kind of exciting. I think that in the future we should go over everything being that we left somethings out, such as how many points we will get on the extra credit of the next test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The class did become very noisy and it was kind of intimidating to voice your opinion because there were some people who aggressively shot down other people's ideas. (There was one girl in the back of the room who gave her input, someone asked "why would we want that?" (or something equivalent to that), and then her input was completely skimmed over.)I agree that because everyone was in for the same thing, that avoidance (or accommodation, which I used) could be suitable for some people. Instead of competing with everyone else who are trying to win something that would benefit everyone, it could be more helpful to just stay out of the argument and listen.
    If we did have a chance to do this again, we would definitely be more efficient with the half hour of time we were given. Too bad the professor would never let us redo that activity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if we did a pretty good job. We got together and came up with a great plan. Next time you should speak up, its fun trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think avoidance is a good reaction in any circumstances since than your voice is not heared.I thin you should have tried to participate even a little bit in order to share your point of view.

    ReplyDelete